Announcements

Maybe something the Entelect team needs to add to the rules, I’ve logged an issues for it, let’s see if it gets updated.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the comment.

1 Like

Hi all,

The first round has completed. There are still some teething issues we are facing, including the leaderboard. (We do have the correct results though). We are actively looking at all issues to try and resolve them before running the second leg.

We will communicate with everyone when the next tournament will start.

Entelect Team

5 Likes

From my results it seems that score is not correlated to how well you won. For example my one game I won by 20 blocks but my score is a cool 224 lower than the loser’s score. In another I won by 70 blocks but my score was ~80 lower. 21 of the matches that I won I had less points than my opponent. I think the scoring system should be reconsidered.

2 Likes

If you get over the finish line first, score does not matter.
Score only kicks in when there is a tie.

This is true, but you also mentioned in another thread that you ignored oil.

Oil pickup = 4 points, Oil usage = 4 points,

If you did not cater for this part of the competition, and your score took a knock I feel it is still justified.

I mention this because had you considered interaction with oil you could have improved on score a lot.

The following was your own words:

So you cannot complain if you dropped off on score if you chose to ignore it completely.

This is why I mentioned earlier that I feel score matters.

Because it forces players to think on score. When two routes give the same outcome in terms of advancement will you take the one with less mud and more powerups?

I’m against dropping score because I do feel players that catered for it should be rewarded.

In a past thread I gave an exact scenario where there’s the same X distance traveled over 3 rounds with a score difference of roughly 25 points. So as much as its get to the finish line first score as a tiebreaker is amazing in itself.

**Side note, if a opponent goes over mud that you threw you also give them a -4, so having a lead already means a score advantage, its just about implementing it.

And it is a great anti “lets just ignore score and oil completely measure” Just being honest here.
To me score is 10 times harder to code than speed, because its no longer just about distance traveled but rather what is the score impact on said distance.

Im missing out on the Round 1 tournament due to a comment in my bot.json.
But from my own observations, score is a lot harder and needs much more strategy.

So I feel its vital to leave it in. Unless we add HP to cars and things like mud and oil does damage. Give players a score boost for killing an opponent (100 points). So that winning can be about killing or being first.

Then I would say drop score completely. But as things are now. score is needed to test the part of the engine that raw speed does not,

So having it as a tiebreaker to me is fair to the challenge.
We all have the scoring rules, We all should account for it.

There is definitely a problem with the score. I also checked and I have 13/52 matches where the winning bot had lower score. And my bot does pick up and use oil.

Of course it’s possible to optimise for score, but this is a racing game: the point is to be the fastest! (And I say this as someone who won the first round last year by going only for score.) Occasionally there will be a scenario where there are two paths of equal speed with different scores, but mostly there is a tradeoff between going for score and going for speed. Of course bots must go for speed, to win. But then, slower (worse) bots can have higher score and have a chance at beating a better bot in the tournament.

Previously @KyleMc has said that the score is okay because the fastest bot will have the highest score, but now we have data, and this is factually not the case.

I encourage others to check how many of their matches have the slower bot with higher score - I think that unless the player optimised for score (I can see a few on the leaderboard), their numbers will be similar to mine and @Leon’s.

I do have a proposed solution though: the total score should be the sum of the command score (which is the score as it currently is), and the distance score, which is 10*player.x. That way, the fastest bots will get the highest scores, but within that there is still opportunity to optimise powerup usage and missing obstacles.

3 Likes

when are the other 52 rounds scheduled to happen?

2 Likes

@Malman Wouldn’t it be better to unpack the score into its constituents and use those for tie breaking?Aggregated over multiple games, the winner could be decided with:

1. Most wins, or if tied
  2. Most combined distance travelled, or
  3. Fewest penalties, or
  4. Most collected powerups

Your consolidated score should approximate this, making movement much more valuable than collecting powerups. I’m trying to imagine if there is a situation where a slow pickup colletor could exploit that.

I know the Entelect team is hard at work answering questions and dealing with issues, but my curiosity is getting the better of me. Has the second tournament started? If so, will the results also be shared real-time or only at the end?

5 Likes

Bumping to check if the Entelect team has any news on this? I’ve been refreshing the leader-board like crazy for the last two days :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi, please keep your F5 key safe. We are busy constructing feedback and communications with regard to the first tournament.

Entelect Team

7 Likes

Still nothing - I wonder if something has gone wrong?

2 Likes

@Tylergoodburn @pierre.roux Any update whatsoever?

Hi @marvijo

Sorry for the delay, we are just finishing up some final checks on our side to make sure we got this right this time :wink:

We will let you know via a massive forum post when it’s ready :smile:

4 Likes

Hi all racers.

The Entelect Challenge team has been working hard to make sure that the first tournament was as fair as possible.

We had encountered a problems with the running of the first tournament, but we have addressed those issues and are going to run the second version.

In this version, the leaderboard will show all match (single race) wins. But you will be completing 104 races (double from the previous 52).

There is going to be no ties per matches as each race is considered its own match. If there is a tie at the end of the tournament the player with the most points will win.

The leaderboard will be available to you shortly. The current leaderboard will be replaced, but we are keeping the first tournament results as a reference.

Goodluck to all racers, Entelect Team.

6 Likes

Awesome, great to hear…
I would just also like to request that the rounds played be sanitized?
I found that my Average is highly affected to to my rounds not counting up correctly. Please see attached image.

Hi @floreggian_entelect, I’d just like to ask for some clarification - will this second tournament be completely independent from the first? Or am I understanding incorrectly?

Don’t worry about those figures. The new leaderboard will correctly show your results.

You are understanding it correctly, the second tournament will be the only tournament that counts.

We have made sure that only valid submissions before the deadline of the first tournament are allowed. So no changes that have been made to the bots up until now will count.

1 Like