Initial Speed -> Mud -> End Tile

I can’t go dig around in the docs now, so please forgive me if it is explained clearly there…

But is player score ONLY considered in the case where both players reach the finish line at the same time (or no one reaches the finish line) ?

It would seem that it would make sense to always consider score - that way, the always-accelerate bot should not necessarily win, since score is penalized for hitting things you should not hit.

I do not feel the same,

For example, a player can simply drive at their slowest and avoid all obstacles. Rack up score that way.

In the scenario where you want to add a bonus score for speed, then the car to cross the line first will almost always win on score regardless.

I feel that the best play is to go by who wins. Otherwise the lines blur a bit. I do feel score matters though, I honestly believe that it will be the determining factor for the winner in Event 1.

Also once the mud bugs are sorted, the game will be very well balanced.

Ok, so I looked at the docs again now.

There we have:

The first car to reach the end of the track, defined by blocks containing a FINISH_LINE object is the winning car and thus the winning bot.

• Should both bots reached the finish line then the bot that crossed the finish line with the highest speed will win
  • Should both bots reach the finish line with the same speed, then the bot with the highest score will win

So that answers my questions.
It does not explain what happens in the unlikely(?) event of neither bots reaching the finish line before end-game.

For my understanding, if this is fixed and I come across >1 mud/oil blocks, will my speed slow down by that amount of mud/oil blocks, need to build this in if this is the case.

1 Like

Currently, docs does not really give much info on that.
Hitting mud will penalize your score (by 3), and slow your car down (by unspecified amount).
That’s pretty much it.

Probably best to wait for the bug fix to be released before trying to code anything for it.

Relevant topic: Mud/oil tiles

1 Like

Would be interesting to know on a timeline for this, think I have an idea on what I want my bot to do.

It’s possible, my current strategy beats a bot that just accelerates 20/20 times.

Hello all, a new release has been published which fixes the bug where hitting multiple objects of the same type in one turn only applies their effects once.

@demaniak with regards to the effect of hitting mud (or an oil spill) it will slow your speed down to the previous speed state (but not lower than 3). The speed states are (0, 3, 6, 8, 9, 15). More detail on these can be found in the readme. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So amped for this, Great news indeed, I cannot wait for the first Event.

I cannot wait to build something, Things will get interesting.

1 Like

Is this per mud/oil hit?
Can you guys update the link on challenge.entelect.co.za to point to the latest starter pack, it’s still pointing to https://github.com/EntelectChallenge/2020-Overdrive/releases/download/2020.1.0/starter-pack.zip

Thanks for pointing this out, will get it sorted :+1:

So to play devil’s advocate here, I’m unsure on the behaviour of landing on a boost/oil tile, would I get 2 boosts/oils if I land on of these along with the related score twice for this or would this be one turn?

I’m answering my own question here, I see the behaviour is that I get it twice, is this expected behaviour?
If this is the case, can the game rules be updated for Boost/Oil/Oil patch/Mud patch to reflect this behaviour?

round:83
player: id:1 position: y:3 speed:9 state:HIT_MUD boosting:false boost-counter:0 powerups: OIL:6, BOOST:11
opponent: id:2 position: y:1 x:411 speed:6

[░▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░]
[░░▓░▓░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓░»░]
[░▓»░░1░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░▓»░▓░░░]
[▓▓░░░░░░░░░░░»░░░░░▓░░░░░░]

C;83;TURN_RIGHT
C;83;TURN_LEFT

Completed round: 83

=======================================
Starting round: 84

======================================================================================================
round:84
player: id:1 position: y:4 speed:9 state:TURNING_RIGHT boosting:false boost-counter:0 powerups: OIL:6, BOOST:12
opponent: id:2 position: y:1 x:416 speed:3

[░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓░░░▓░]
[▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓░»░░▓░░░░░░]
[░░░▓░░░▓░░░▓»░▓░░░░░░░░░░░]
[░░░░░1░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░]

C;84;ACCELERATE
C;84;TURN_RIGHT

Completed round: 84

=======================================
Starting round: 85

======================================================================================================
round:85
player: id:1 position: y:4 speed:8 state:HIT_MUD boosting:false boost-counter:0 powerups: OIL:6, BOOST:13
opponent: id:2 position: y:2 x:418 speed:3

[░░░░░░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░]
[░░░░░▓░»░░▓░░░░░░░░░▓░░▓░░]
[░░▓»░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░░▓░░░]
[░░▓░░1░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓░░Φ░]

C;85;USE_BOOST
C;85;TURN_RIGHT

Definitely looks like an off-by-one error here, where a mud/oil/powerup is counted both at the end of the one turn and then again at the start of the next turn.

2 Likes

There are 2 very hard problems in computer science:

1. Cache invalidation
  2. Naming things
  3. off by one errors
1 Like

Hello @styphoiz sorry for the delayed response.

Yeah we picked up that we count the block you end a round on twice. The round you ended on and the next round. The latest pull request fixes this, so will do another releases later today.

1 Like

Hello @Malman yeah that is what was happening. Will be fixed with a new release later today.

Will the new release be loaded on the Player portal?

Hello @styphoiz, @demaniak and @Malman we have published a new release fixing the double counting bug as well as updating the behavior of drop oil (to be one block behind the player and not on the player)

@styphoiz currently this release will only be available via github, we will update the player portal to point to the latest release sometime next week.

2 Likes