Bot uploads

We are investigating what went wrong with your uploads. Will get back to you with what happened, but they will most likely go into a failed to upload state.

Ok when would I be able to reupload

Uploaded my bot again, please confirm the previous bots won’t overwrite my latest upload.

The broken uploads should reflect as broken when we deploy the website again.

You can assume that if your upload is higher up in the player portal that it is considered to override all lower down uploads.

Hi Guys,

I am struggling to get a Java bot to build. I have tried a few things but still cannot get it working. With the last attempt I am getting an error that the “Bot file not found”. This happened even though I did include the bot.json in the root directory of the zip file. Do you perhaps have a sample structure we can use for the zip files of the Java source? Or can you perhaps see what I am doing wrong please?

I’m struggling to upload my c++ bot. It is in the pending verification state for the last 12 hours. When downloading the logs it says {“Message”:“Cannot find the file for this user”}. Any ideas?

Hey @Leon,

We’re currently trying to find out what is happening to your bot.
Something strange is happening where it isn’t uploading correctly to our storage, I’m going to clear your current submissions, so can you please try to upload again and I’m going to find out where the upload is going wrong.

Also what browser are you using to upload the bot?

Hey @Voltan ,

The BotLocation property in your bot.json needs to point to the location where your executable will be after having been built.
In your case it should be “/target”
Please have a look if that solves your problem.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m using Firefox 67.0 on Ubuntu 18.04. The upload failed again. I tried with Chrome 74.0.3729.169 and the everything succeeded.

Ok cool, thanks, we’ll try and fix Firefox uploads ASAP, but for the interim use Chrome then.

3 Likes

Something weird when uploading a Python bot: if you set the botLanguage to “python” in the bot.json file, the server doesn’t accept the upload, with the error message “Invalid bot language was specified. Refer to game engine documentation for all currently supported languages.” But “python” is what is used in the sample bot, and what works with the game runner.

On a hunch, I changed it to “python3” - now the server accepts it, and plays a game fine, but the game runner (locally) isn’t able to run it as it can’t find the language.

Not sure what’s going on here but it would be nice not to have to change the bot.json file between uploading and playing locally.

(Also, it failed without requirements.txt, which I excluded because I didn’t have any requirements! But worked fine once I uploaded a blank one.)

Worked fine in Firefox though.

Hi @Malman

Yeah, that is an alignment issue on our side. It is supposed to be python3 throughout, but the old value still lingers from last year. We are going through everything now to make sure it all says python3.

We will look into the requirements.txt issue, but I’m glad you have found the workaround with the empty file that works.

It could be that it is Firefox on Linux specifically.

1 Like

Thanks, that makes sense.

Might even be worth just treating Python 3 as the only real Python and calling it “python”. Anyone still using Python 2 really should migrate: it is six months to EOL: https://pythonclock.org/

4 Likes

The bot I uploaded has ‘python’, should I leave it as that or re-upload a submission with ‘python3’?

Hi @marcin_k

To be safe rather upload one with python3. We’ll make sure that this is corrected ASAP after Early Bird

A bit concerning that I’m the first one to mention it, the day before the deadline - especially when Python was the most popular language last year, so presumably there are lots of Python bots again. I hope there aren’t a whole lot of bots submitted that won’t be able to run in the tournament because they say “python”!

It’s also a bit weird that “python3” works for playing games on the server but not on the local game engine - hope it works for the tournament too, now that people are submitting with “python3”.

Sorry for the confusion, it is something we should have picked up sooner.

Although, this is a mere config mismatch. The python and python3 languages are the same in execution, just not in name. To reassure the contestants that their bots run on our server configurations we implemented the reference matches. If you upload your bot with python3 and the reference match runs correctly, your bot will run just fine in the tournament.

If you however see anything wrong with the reference match when you upload it with the language python3, please don’t hesitate to let us know so we can fix it.

I just was thinking about @marcin_k who uploaded a bot with “python” and apparently didn’t notice the failure at the build stage, so came to ask here, and wondering how many others might be in a similar position - expecting everything to work because it ran locally.

The reference match ran as expected with “python3”.

Hi guys!

Would it be possible to add more info to the build logs if your build fails? Trying to upload my c++ bot atm and all I have is “error code 2” to go on…

I mean I saw the build failed. Just wanted to check if all the ‘python’ bots would be retroactively fixed and rebuilt or if I should upload a ‘python3’ one