Finals & Comic Con Tickets

Im worried that my own bot might do that same nonsense in the finals.

Im so scared that I hit that 145K population limit.
For what its worth,

Im willing to send you my own bot after finals and you can run your complete version to my own and gauge yourself.

But its also as Kobus says,
Avoiding running my bot now as to not see any bots that will make me pull my hair out…

That said,
Im surprized that there are 8 bots that breaks the 145K population limit regardless.

And Im sure that you dont hit those constraints every single battle.

Tier 6 is a very sensitive balance.
Im very paranoid about that.

@kobus-v-schoor

Im fairly certain all will be final after this.
Though a day or two to just make sure theres no bugs can be super cool.
My entry is finished.

At this time I can only do some territory tweaks.
I think I have one of the most complete bots I have ever had…

BUT… I couldnt test a very wide range of seeds.
I also ran it mainly against itself.

I have no idea what happens if it hits a weaker bot. Maybe having more advantage makes it do stupid things build wise later, Im fairly paranoid.

Id have loved a , take the weekend to bugfix / enhance strat.
But I really doubt that would happen.

I personally have not opened my bot since submission.
Too paranoid I hit a match and it shows a weakness in my strategy and Im all over stressed because of it.
Though already im probably over paranoid.

On one side I am very confident and super excited.
On the other im somewhat anxious.

Have no idea what to expect, this month will be a long month in terms of anticipation.

Thanx, i would love to run against you and see, but i have a feeling i screwed something up with my unit tracking, so I accepted before the results came out that i wont make it.

Next year I will definitely do much more effort, but it helps alot in the first round if you can compete against others to get the base logic solid by competing, so a suggestion @Jako to add a competing feature in phase one, but removing it after so fase 2 and 3 a lot can still change but it helps drive up the quality of the entries.

Overspending resources because another bot wasnt really active as a builder could be a big issue.

But yeah, Not digging into that now.

I really doubt that would happen though, Assuming the team said we could tweak up till next weekend (10th of September).
Then they would need to run our matches on the 11th onwards
Even if they only need to run 4 or so matches to determine placements,
That window might be too small.

Even if I completely dominated the Leaderboard (Ended first in every single match) **Really unlikely but just an example.
Id still love an added time to tweak.
As its more perfectionism at work than it is about the prizes on the line.

I cant say I have the time, but IO want to redo a bot for Last year (2021)
I had a very very strong genetic AI but I had huge issues getting my rounds to play in real time, so kept turning one turn too early or one turn too late.

I would like to rework my own bot for that.
I still have every one of my bots in a history since Space Invaders.

I also want to rebuild space invaders… That could end interestingly now that I actually know what is going on.

I think it depends on the actual challenge and the team should discuss what they wish to reveal.

Maybe they can Blind out the enemy itself, That would have worked for this year,
You can see how a match ended and maybe what you did but you cant see anything of the enemy.

This year that would be bad because my central strategy in Round 1 is still the core of my Round 3 entry.
Which is how I handle my population.

If we analyzed each others bots this year we would easily see where our weaknesses are.

Only really in territory itself where things get messy.
But thats my thoughts on what I observed of my own strategy.
If you get the basics of the unit management and calculations.

You can easily copy your opponent.
You need mad skills for that, But its still easy.

1 Like

Space invaders was also my first time actually coding in C# after php… so that is one bot I would rather approach like I did bomberman with a game tree… just do it better since I only took up programming as a profession after that year and learned alot since then.

Exactly the same space as you. Before Space invaders I only built website infastructure with PHP as my Golden Hammer.

I have no idea what I had in there at the end but im certain it was a mere:
See if shot now can kill bug, Yes? okay shoot.
And if not, try wait shoot, Try left shoot, try right shoot.

But in all honnesty.
That might have been one of my most fun years.

Because I was swinging blindly.
I think I can build perfect in a week. (And not copy the winning strategy that year to build if opponent builds)

Id build, keep some bugs alive on purpose to delay my lineshifts, And position myself for the new lineshhifts essentially hitting everything as they spawn waiting fro them to come to me.

But time. When i dig into these bots I really push hard.
Im not at the level where I can spend a weekend and build something crazy strong.
Maybe now that Im looking at doing some actual Game AI that will change.

I picked up the same issue that @Kortgat had on the last day while doing my final tests, added in some code to cater for it and boom, I feel happy with my final bot, excited to be in the finals this year.
Well done to the other finalists on getting your bots into the finals, I doubt we’ll get a chance to tweak our final bots, not that I would want to, last time I tried tweaking my bot, it ended up doing so poorly, I had to go a lot of versions backward to get it to behave the way I wanted it to.

@Jako Are you planning on releasing leaderboards before the finals, or are the results you wanted to get out by today only the finalist names (sent last week)?

They generally do not release that intel,

In the past they did but it seems better to just keep contestants in the dark.
That unfamiliarity is nice.

Would be nice for non-finalists to know where they placed, though :grimacing:

Congrats to the top 8! Looking forward to watching the matches.

4 Likes

Hi everyone, we will definitely look into releasing the leaderboard after the finals

5 Likes