Is .NET 5 bot allowed or only .NET Core 1-3

Hello, I was wondering if I am allowed to write my bot in .NET 5 ?

I see on the documentation it is stated as

Bot versions

Java = 11
NodeJS = 14
** .Net core = 3.9**
Python = 3.9
Pytorch = 1.8.0
Tensorflow = 2.4.1
C++ = 9.3.0

Are these the versions of the starter bots or the allowed versions?

Usually those that they recommend are official versions that they support, which means they can give support for those versions, and they know it’s working.
You could use a version that is not in the list, but you might run the rist of compatibility issues with SignalR and other libraries and the EC team can’t guarantee support to assist you.
But since the new submission process, you have the ability to control your bot’s building process, which means you can change versions to your liking.
Just remember to adjust the correct files, such as you project settings and Dockerfile to use the same version as well.
A big risk with untested, unofficial versions is that if something goes wrong during a tournament, you will be at fault for not using the recommended version, and the tournament will stay as is.
Where as if something goes wrong with your bot using the official version, it’s up to EC to fix it, and rerun the tournament.

1 Like

I agree with @AtomicNomad .

Just out of interest sake, why do you want to use .Net 5 over the .NetCore version they provide? It should be pretty much the same.

Hey @Donovan, sorry there was a typo in the readme and it was meant to be ‘.NET=3.1’ and not ‘3.9’. With regards to your question it is as @AtomicNomad says we do recommend the official versions because we support them and we know they work. You may run your bot on unofficial version but as mentioned we will not take responsibility if something goes wrong.

We would just like to add the .NET 5 is reaching its end of life on the 8th May 2022, if you would like to rather run on .NET 6 then there should not be a problem because we have recently updated our game engine to .NET 6. We will look into updating the starter-bot version to .NET 6.

:nerd_face::+1:

Hi another question on the .net bot, should the docker file still use the 2021 image? I found that I can only successfully submit a bot to the portal with .net 5 using that image, .net 3.1 and 6 failed with:

Could not execute because the application was not found or a compatible .NET SDK is not installed.

Hi @Kortgat thanks for spotting this. We are looking into the issue and we’ll let you know :blush:

Hi,

Just a friendly bump for this - I’m also having issues on the portal with 3.1.

{“date”:“2022-04-28T06:53:55.567606Z”,“log”:“The framework ‘Microsoft.NETCore.App’, version ‘3.1.0’ was not found.”}

It’s quite possible this is down to something I’ve done, but all seems fine with the build on my side. Also, when I adjusted to Net Core 5.0, the project ran fine on the portal.

I have PM’d you to resolve this issue.

1 Like

@Jako I seem to be having the same issue - can you assist :innocent:

My DotNetCore Bot also fail on the Portal.

Bot Log:

It was not possible to find any compatible framework version
The framework ‘Microsoft.NETCore.App’, version ‘3.1.0’ was not found.

• The following frameworks were found:
    5.0.5 at [/usr/share/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App
    You can resolve the problem by installing the specified framework and/or SDK.

Hi Kuifie,

The team is aware of the issue with version 3 of DotNetCore and are actively working on a fix. We will let you know as soon as a solution is ready.

2 Likes