When I entered the Entelect Challenge 2019 I had 3 goals: 1) To learn something new about AI, 2) To have fun and 3) To be in the top 50%. I have reached all my goals and the competition exceeded my wildest expectations. Thank you all that made it happen.
What did I love about the challenge?
- Starter Bot code that caters for multiple programming languages, and easy enough for people with only a little bit of programming experience to get going
- Simple game rules, but lots and lots of strategy
- Very little “luck-of-the-dice” where good decision making is rewarded
- Very fast response from Team Entelect with queries (forum and email)
- The way in which we submit raw code and the back-end compiles and run the reference bot game
- The visualizers where we could replay matches with beautiful graphics
- The real-time leader-board in the tournaments, including the suspense in the 3rd tournament where the top 6 details were hidden
- The finals on the Main Stage @ Comic Con with the big screen and humorous commentary
- The prize money
What did I not enjoy / what could improve?
- More South Africans should enter the competition
- The last round before the finals was very close to Comic Con. This does not give a lot of time to make travel & accommodation arrangements - especially where the Comic Con weekend is at the start of the school holidays and a long-weekend for many people
- Submit tournament code a few days in advance… Some people had trouble with uploading and compiling. Some of us realized too late we submitted code with a bug.
- When a tournament runs on a business-day, take the day leave - because it is not a productive work day monitoring the leader-board…