Operation Firestorm Incoming

Operation Firestorm Incoming!

The time is upon us once again to fight for your chance to win!

The uploads for bots for this tournament will close on the 29th of July at 23:59:59, so make sure your bot is up and ready to fight.

Good luck to everyone!

3 Likes

Not to sound weird… But I’m still working on my bot from last tournament, I was busy and procrastinated it all till today at like 4pm…

But I know my base is solid. So now I just need to implement the Tesla…

So… I don’t know how this event will go :S Good luck all, hope you manage to complete what you are all working on. Hope I can manage the same… but I’m like 90% there…

Ag just started making an algorithm and busy implementing,after last round I was like meh there is plenty of time until next one but now !!!Time flies
Will see how my basic strategy works, good luck everyone!

I’ve been thinking about my approach for a while, but I only just started coding them up. I left it way to late for this round i think. To much busy with the rest of life I guess.

I just finished my entry… Tesla done. Even if I doubt I will use it even once…

Too difficult to get the energy together… But as last time I will use the leader board to show if I missed something… Goodluck all. I really feel my entry is solid this time…

Seems the leader board is not getting updated?

1 Like

Hi everyone,

We ran into some small issues regarding Operation Firestorm. The tournament matches will be scheduled tonight and then the leaderboard will update as expected.

Some of you might have noticed that the reference matches ran with missile speed of 1 instead of 2 before the deadline for the tournament. This was wrong and has now been corrected so that the tournament runs with a missile speed of 2. If you uploaded a bot to cater for the missile speed being 1 instead of 2 and you want us to use one of your previous bot submissions, that uses 2 as the missile speed, for the tournament please email us at challenge@entelect.co.za . This isn’t an opportunity to submit new bots, and only bots uploaded before the submission deadline will be considered.

1 Like

Me please I want my last submission to be removed and my previous on to be used.

1 Like

…and we’re off…

3 Likes

Like @Andre mentioned above, the matches are now running for Operation Firestorm! There is a total of 3570 matches scheduled, so it will be exciting to see how the leaderboard changes over the next couple of days.

Good luck to everyone!

2 Likes

Heyo, just wanted to check if there’s any order that bots are played in, considering some have played many and others not even one? Is it just random, or seeded, or based on the bots performance so far?

I don’t know what order is being used, but I know that one way to minimise the imbalance in the number of matches played by each bot, is to always take, for the next match, the match where Player 1 has played the fewest matches so far, breaking ties by choosing the match among those where Player 2 has played the fewest matches so far.

This would make the leaderboard much more exciting to watch while the tournament was running, as everyone’s position throughout would be because of actual wins/losses and not because of the uneven order of play.

We schedule the matches beforehand in a completely random order, this has a way of balancing out in the end.
We can look into balancing it out a bit more for next year, but because the next tournament is going to be double elim, which in theory should be perfectly balanced, we will not be changing it now.

Can I ask, why isn’t the next tournament also a round robin?

In my opinion its a much fairer representation of who deserves it. Because you know the bots that goes through
will be the ones who performed the best. Otherwise there might be the scenario where. the 13th overall bot eliminates the 7th overall bot.

I feel that last year’s Round Robin worked well. Not completely against the double elim. I mean we are all in the same environment. So what applies to me will apply to others as well. if my bot is 5th over all it could potentially kick out the bot that’s 2nd overall… So this goes both ways. But I’m wondering.

Can the golden ticket winner from past round enter new round? doesn’t impact ranking?

I’m also a bit worried about the double elimination qualifying tournament. I suspect most bots involve a lot of random elements. From my own testing of the various versions of my bots it’s become quite obvious that luck can play a big role. A stronger bot may win 7/10 games but still lose occasionally to a weaker bot. This is fine in a round robin as enough games is played but can be problematic in an elimination style tournament. I understand why the finals probably need to be elimination due to the crowd pleasing aspects though.

One way to reduce the influence of luck in an elimination style tournament could be to make the match ups best out of 3 or 5.

2 Likes

Hmmmm, i strongly believe if you make a good BOT and even if you implement random elements (like there is two rows that you can attack) the better bot would be able to come on out on top because you need to calculate which row is better to attack.

i think 3 games will be more than enough for this like @LouisLotter suggested, but i don’t think this is necessary.

It depends on the difference in skill between the two bots. If there is a big gap then you are right. If the skill levels are very close as you can expect to happen if the top bots converge to optimal strategies then random elements become very relevant. I see this effect every time I make small improvements to my bot. I have to play many games between the new version and the old before i can say for certain if it’s an improvement or not.

There is a reason major gaming tournaments normally have best out of 3 or 5 between the same opponents.

Am i wrong to assume that, there is a clear winning strategy / best move with how simple the game is

Because i feel like i have come to that conclusion for example in Magic the gathering,

• Controlling players will sacrifice their own life total and manipulate the board until they are in the favored position and out value their opponent (as long as they have more than 1HP they can still win).

• Aggro players - will try to kill you as fast as possible but is very weak in the long game

• Mid range players - will playing slightly bigger things that aggro players but little bit faster than controll players

Thus you counter each other nicely
Aggro beats controll
MidRange beats aggro
Controll beats mid range

Currently i think there are two ways of it playing out -

• Kill your opponent as fast as possible without you dieing
  • Survive and out value your opponents so that there is no way of them coming back and you just counter play them on each move they make

Another thing to take account that in MTG you have random factor of drawing good hand or bad cards and you don’t know what you are getting next .This tower defense challenge you know exactly what you are going to get and just need to figure out the perfect strategy like @WillieTheron mentioned (i believe all the top players has the idea already when to attack or place energy towers or general good idea of which positions is better to place certain buildings after playing quite a few games).

Its just the refinement of calculating when its best to attack or defend based on the board state.That’s my reasoning i don’t mind playing 5 games i just don’t think its necessary

I fully agree - and it actually leaves me a bit concerned about a straight-forward double elimination approach for the next tournament. If bots are so closely matched, a little bit of bad luck can take a good bot out of the fight way before reaching the finals. I’m not entirely sure how one would mitigate that risk though. The fact that there’s only a week between the final tournament and Comic-Con introduces a significant time-constraint.

@Entelect - would round-robin be an option for the final tournament before ComicCon, or a “best of three” double elimination where bots play three matches instead of a single match to determine who drops out (or into the loser’s bracket)?