The Battle of Port Royal

I haven’t entered my bot yet…can I still enter it for the second battle?? Or are my chances over?

Now that it;s happening. I just got to know? Everyone using the datagenetics post for their approach?

With all the talk of scores and more.
Where do you see the scores and bots running results ?

@Jacques https://challenge.entelect.co.za/tournaments/1

@kriyenkp, you can surely enter still. Just be aware that the game harnass will most likely change a little and you will need to be aware of those.

Congratulations Dean.
Just a bit unfair I think.
I did not know you can use a bowcaster in the battle.
Next time I will bring a light sabre for extra defence :slight_smile:

Its not over yet, there are still a bunch of games to be played.
Only 934* games out of 2701 have been played.

*Number will be more when you read this post.

I used it for inspiration, but there’s some cases where it isn’t good enough.

I would be interested in people’s strategy when it’s just the Destroyer (2 hit ship) left? For me, there’s so much luck involved when both players are looking for good old 2-bit.

do i need to be concerned that my bot is at 0 victories and 0 defeats and same rank since the start ?

Unfortunately I did not come across that post until you mentioned it. I did conceive of and implemented the probability density function, but my algorithm applies it to the longest ship left only, and only for the Hunt mode.

It is a case of something seeming so obvious once someone only points it out to you :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi wjb,

It certainly is strange that none of your matches have been player yet. But I think it is due to the how the games were scheduled and the way in which they are processed. Your games are scheduled however, but right now it seems like all your matches will be the last to be played. We will try and improve this with the next tournament. All the matches were supposed to be scheduled semi randomly, but for some reason it seems like that never happened.

Hi kriuenkp,

You can still enter for the second and third battle. The third battle is your last chance to get a golden ticket however.

Lol maybe he is bot number 0 or n?

@linjoehan do you mind leaving a link to that datagenetics post you’re talking about please? Thanks

Ah, if it’s this you’re referring to, then yeah, I used it too. However, from the results board, it looks like I didn’t use it well enough.

Since there’s no way of viewing the battles live there is no way to determine why bots did badly or not. Is there really no way we can see the logs for the battles?

1 Like

I would also like to see something of why my bot lost. It would also be nice to see why other people did so well. Could you not use some peer-to-peer file sharing to share the file since it’ll be at least 1Gig?

I believe logs will not be available because it reveals opponent strategy. In a round robin you will essentially see each player’s bot placement strategy along with their “opening strategy” in terms of start. If they were available I would like them as well. But I do see reason to have them kept secret. Unless they showed bot errors. This is at least event 1, I want to “Test” a theory in the next event. And see if it will do better or worse than my current tactics. I cannot wait for the next version of the game engine. That added complexity will do me well…

I don’t really buy the you’ll see the “other guy’s strategy” argument. This is more like being a coach of a rugby team then telling the coach he can’t attend the game because he’s not allowed to see the other team’s strategy.

Another problem is what about technical errors. For example, Bots taking too long to process means failure as well, but currently we have no idea how many of those kinds of failures have occurred. Iow strategy vs technical difficulty.

Quite disappointing setup to be frank. I feel it could be more transparent.

I dont think the logs should be released. On the other hand it would be nice to see what went wrong with my bot, and what others did differently in theirs.

1 Like